Monday, September 10, 2012

The Day I Died...I Mean "Dyed"....

Dyeing.  It's all over Pinterest and DIY blogs right now.  Everyone is dying shirts, jeans, you name it.  I decided to try my hand at it because I needed some navy blue elastic, which of course, I couldn't find.  While I was at it, I stuck in two tank tops (one for my sister and one for me), a woven belt, and a pair of old tights.  They were looking awesome until I washed them afterwards like the directions said.  Most of the color faded out and I ended up with a gray blue color.  It's a lovely color, and I adore the way the tights turned out, but it wasn't what I had planned.  Fortunately, the elastic looks okay for the project I was doing. (More on that later) 
 
I used Rit Navy Blue dye and I followed the directions, so what happened?  I've used Rit dye once before for a tie-dye project, and it faded and bled then too.  I've heard other people have wonderful success with Rit dye, so why didn't it work for me?  Any tips?
 
 
See?  Cute tights.
 
 
 And a sneak peek of a project that you'll probably see me wearing very very soon. ;)
 
Niki

No comments: