Thursday, October 4, 2012

October Verse a Day Challenge: Days 3 and 4


Day 3's theme was "This happened today."  I don't know why, but almost immediately I thought of this (I didn't think of the whole verse by memory, though):

"Also before the throne there was what looked like a sea of glass, clear as crystal.
In the center, around the throne, were four living creatures, and they were covered with eyes, in front and in back. The first living creature was like a lion, the second was like an ox, the third had a face like a man, the fourth was like a flying eagle. Each of the four living creatures had six wings and was covered with eyes all around, even under his wings. Day and night they never stop saying:
'Holy, holy, holy
is the Lord God Almighty,
who was, and is, and is to come.'"  - Revelation 4:6-8 (Emphasis mine)

I was struck by how the 4 creatures never stop praising God.  They praised Him yesterday, they praised Him today.  While we went about our day, these beings were praising God.  We always talk about the things the Bible says God does, but sometimes I think I forget that He is doing those things today.  As in now.  I don't know if I can explain quite what I mean, but this thought really got my attention yesterday as I was thinking about the challenge theme.

Now for day 4.  "What you read."  Maybe this is an odd way to interpret the theme, but I thought of this story:

"So on the first day of the seventh month Ezra the priest brought the Law before the assembly, which was made up of men and women and all who were able to understand. He read it aloud from daybreak till noon as he faced the square before the Water Gate in the presence of the men, women and others who could understand. And all the people listened attentively to the Book of the Law. " - Nehemiah 8:2-3

Again, I had to look it up to get the details.  I couldn't even remember who it was that read the Law aloud...oops.  Anyway.  Everytime I read this story, I'm amazed that the people stood and listened attentively for hours!  It started a huge revival.  But I can't picture most Americans ever paying attention to anything for that long.  Maybe we need to become better listeners.  :)

Well, there's my thoughts for days 3 and 4!

Niki

2 comments:

Helen @ Blue Eyed Beauty Blog said...

Good verses! I love how you added the extra tid bits of your thoughts :)

Helen
Blue Eyed Beauty Blog
Exercise Encouragement Group blog

Niki said...

Thanks. :)

Niki